This caprese pasta salad came about for a couple of reasons. First, I LOVE a good caprese salad! And second, I’m not a big fan of traditional pasta salad. So I thought, why not make a pasta salad that has all the flavors of my favorite type of salad?! Well, this caprese pasta salad does not disappoint! It has all the amazing flavors that you’d expect in a caprese salad but it’s a lot easier to throw together and transport to a friend’s house!
- 16 ounce box of pasta (I like to use bowties)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (cut into 1/4 inch slices)
- 8 ounce mozzarella cheese ball (not shredded) (sliced into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup store-bought pesto
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt (plus more for salting the pasta water)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil for garnish (optional)
- Fill a large pot with water and 1 tbsp of salt and boil your pasta according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, slice your tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and cut your mozzarella into 1/2 inch cubes. These sizes are just my preference so if you like them smaller or bigger, go for it!